Monday, October 18, 2010

Globe-Trotting is to Paper-Writing as Journey is to...?

I know that most of the people reading this blog think that what I'm doing this fall sounds like a dream come true. And it would be, if it had been my dream.

The truth is though, it wasn't anything I ever considered until it fell into my lap. I never even looked at Switzerland on a map after I passed European geography in 10th grade. And yet, here I am. Living, albeit temporarily, in Europe; In Switzerland--the hub of Western civilization this side of the Atlantic. I am a mere 2-3 hours from half a dozen countries all at once. If I get on a train going even half an hour in any direction the language I hear changes, even within the confines of Switzerland itself. Coming from a nation where one must drive for DAYS in some cases just to hear one's own language spoken differently, this new "cultural diversification" has been hard to get use to. (Oh, wouldn't my profs be proud! You see? You see how I did that, all you Whitworthians turned global-citizens, you see that?)

After doing it a few times I am, by my own admission, getting a little better at this whole solo-travel thing. But, in the same way that I use to panic before, during, and sometimes inexplicably after writing a paper in college, convinced that I did not in fact know HOW to complete the task ahead of me, I somehow manage to forget how to travel, just as I would forget how to write a paper for Doug Sugano. I put things off and over-prepare and don't sleep well and I become forgetful and my voice gets all high-pitched and girly in the most annoyingly fake, "would you like to open a new account today, sir?" kind of way.

Determined to beat my inner-barnyard-fowl into submission however, I somehow muster up the courage to "get out there and do it." And do you know, it always turns out alright in the end. Just like every paper I've ever written, traveling never turns out exactly as I plan for it to, nor is it by any means easy or relaxing in the way I so wish it could be. Other people seem to be able to travel like they write papers or drive cars. Quickly, easily, painlessly. I, alas, seem to lack the grace, poise, and self-assurance that it requires to do these things without effort. It is my hope, however, that the next few months will reveal that elusive trick to tranquility that other people in this world just seem to possess in abundance.

And without this seemingly necessary sense of tranquility I resort as ever to observation about the world, and me as a speck upon its spinning surface.  While on a quick weekend getaway to the Italian coast (God, how weird does that sound?!) I realized that solo travel kind of sucks. Sure, it has its benefits. You don't have to compromise what you want for the interests of others. You can travel like a leisurely tourist or a no-nonsense go-getter, all in the same day, and no one cares or comments. Meals are optional. With the acceptation of the general "see you Sunday," you're free to go wherever and do anything your heart desires. Like writing on the subject of your choice without guidelines or restrictions or instructions of any kind! Ah, yes. Freedom, in its purest form.

And yet, given my choice, I'd rather have a little company; a little roadmap for my writing, for my travels...for my life. Maybe not all the time, (there have been a few  moments of embarrassment, stress, or the simple desire to read a book for a few hours in front of a beautiful lake that are much more conducive to solitary travel) but when trying to navigate a new city, pick a decent, price-appropriate restaurant, or when you realize that you haven't said more than two words out loud for two days straight...that's when a little company might be nice.

Yet I know that I am nevertheless learning and adapting, at least a little, with every new experience. After all, it took four years of all-nighters and panic and the amazing forces of Sam, Jenny, Elise, Aubrey, Libby, and countless others to polish my library of half-baked rubbish into documents fit for professorial eyes, so why should this travel business be any different? The setting and tools and helping hands look a little different, but I hope the end result will be the same.

But do they give "As" in the real world?  

2 comments:

  1. Well, I just love you and think you are amazing and intrepid!! You can be proud of yourself too- even though it is challenging, you still go and DO!! Keep experiencing and adventuring!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If they give A's in the real world, I am confident you will get an A+, Linds. I'm so glad you posted your blog on FB. It's wonderful to keep up with your adventures. I know how you feel about solo travel. I don't know how many times I detoured for a geeky Katrina stop or went the wrong way (it's all in the adventure)and would have been totally shamefaced had I been traveling with someone. But you're absolutely right. It sucks to live in your head and not have someone to bounce ideas off of or just to say 'wow, that gyro was awesome.' Things like that aren't always worth writing home about, but they do make good travel-buddy conversations.

    ReplyDelete