Friday, July 22, 2011

Oxford...again?

Last night I had the pleasure of talking with one of the summer interns who works for a church in my hometown. It would have been a wholly unremarkable experience if the subject of Oxford had not come up in conversation. As it turns out, he (and I, in my own little way) studied there around the same time and have since discovered a profound mutual love of the place, the educational opportunities accorded there, and, in a grander view, for European life in general. This discovery, however random, rekindled within me the desire to research those possibilities--however vague or distant they may be--that exist in the realm of my future life in so far as I hope to end up in England.

And yes, it is true that I still have a lot of reading to do, and my existing writing samples are so poor that they make me cry a little whenever I think about them, and then there is the prospect of the almighty dollar (or, in this case, pound. Oh help...) but despite all of these things, I still want to learn. And I suppose that is what really matters. I want to know things and surround myself with sundry folk in an atmosphere of constant consideration and cogitation (GRE word of the day, check.)  


...Now, if only money were no object, I could begin in ernest! Nevertheless I shall continue to wait tables with a smile on my face, ever dreaming of the possibilities that await this (temporarily) detained wanderer.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you are enjoying the service industry, friend. I would love to hear some of your stories:)

    ReplyDelete