Friday, November 12, 2010

Untitled

I am learning to love it here.
Without the distractions 
and the stress of school and work 
and a life filled with needs unmet
I find myself feeling satisfied
  
I like the little life that has unfolded before me 
and I feel content in this place.
My mornings are early and long and full. 
I happily and strangely embrace my new role 
of sudo-adult and friend, provider and peacemaker.


I never have enough time to sit and eat a meal in peace, 
let alone finish a book, 
but I take comfort in the activity of it all.
I walk each and every day (a foot of snow be damned!)
I brew and consume enough strong tea each day to fill a bathtub. 
And I'm not kidding.


My afternoons are consumed 
by times tables and games, German grammar and time-outs.
I cook and the smell of cinnamon makes me feel at home.
I crank Axl Rose and jam with Jamie, 
dance to Miley Cyrus with Raina and 
watch movies with English subtitles with Carrie and Chrigl.


And when the quiet settles in at last 
I stand at the kitchen sink in solitude,
 finishing the dishes 
and humming a bar or two of Pie Jesu, 
its gentle familiarity reassures me 
that I am ready to begin again tomorrow.


Because I love it here.

1 comment: